Friday, 10 August 2012

My First Katwise Coat!

Some of you who follow my Facebook page will know that I discovered and fell in love with Katwise coats a couple of months ago.

Kat O'Sullivan, the amazing talent behind Katwise coats, makes crazy colourful coats from recycled jumpers (sweaters for those in the northern hemisphere). Go to Kat's website to discover more about this amazing designer and her brilliant coats (and her wonderful house!)


So ... of course, as soon as I saw these coats I wanted one. The only problem is that whilst Kat makes these at lightening speed, they also sell out just as quickly when she puts them up on her etsy shop

Then I discovered that she also sells a tutorial on how to make the coats. Aha! So I bought it straight away and started on my adventure of finding enough woollen jumpers to make one of these amazing coats myself. 

The Renaissance Man (DH) and I acquainted ourselves with all the op shops around where we live, and visited them all over five weekends. Luckily it's Winter here in Perth, so it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be finding enough woollen jumpers to make my first coat. 

It took me ten days to make the coat from start to finish, after I had spent one weekend washing and drying all the jumpers - it took eight plus a pashmina shawl I already had - and I am thrilled with the results.

 
Here is the front

 
Here is the back with suitably long hood

Here it is with the hood up and tail wrapped around like a scarf

I really am pleased about how this turned out ... and I'm a little bit hooked on these coats. I've got enough jumpers for a couple more, and I've learnt a great deal about size, and fit and how to make the hood sit nicely with this first one - so I see making several more of these in my future!

Want to make one of these coats for yourself? Go buy Kat's tutorial - reading it was like having Kat there in my studio with me helping me make the coat!







3 comments:

  1. It's brilliant! I love the colors and arrangement.

    I can't wait to try this myself. The sticking point is that I'm so far from thrift shops. I don't go to town that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janie... this is wonderful and so true to the Katwise spirit.. you would think she had made it. Now when you are taking orders.... just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just fabulous! I found you via Katwise, and I'm going to explore your site.

    ReplyDelete